Sunday, December 27, 2009

Exceptional Individual Watch: Carol Greider, Ph.D.

One feature of this blog I would like to feature is an "Exceptional Individual Watch", where I feature someone prominent or accomplished who has some type of disability. I realize that individuals shouldn't be defined by their disabilities, and that an "exceptional individual" isn't just someone who has a disability. But I have already come into a number of students who are worried their options will be limited in life because they have a learning disability or cognitive disability.

Likewise, there is still the unfortunate perception (even amongst those in education) that individuals with disabilities and IEPs will not be able to go to college, become successful in something, or live independent lives. I know I was one of those individuals growing up who had teachers that didn't believe I would ever be able to go to college because I had Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). I am writing this portion because I want student with special needs to have some people they can look at if they ever have doubts about their own potential. Likewise, I want to change the misconception among those who think that just because a student has an IEP, doesn't mean they can't go onto great success after high school.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in my earlier posts, I was on an IEP pretty much the entire time I was in school due to my ADD. Perhaps that is why teaching special education was a natural fit for me. I will share more about my ADD and years as a special needs student in due time.

Anyways, the woman above is Dr. Carol Greider, a professor of Microbiology and Genetics at John Hopkins University. She recently won the Nobel Prize with two other individuals in Physiology and Medicine. In addition to being an accomplished scientist, Dr. Greider is an individual with the reading disability, dyslexia (more on dyslexia here).

As far as the name "Exceptional Individual Watch" goes, I am open to changing it, but will keep it this way until a better name comes along.

No comments:

Post a Comment