Sunday, December 27, 2009

What is my primary mission as a high school teacher?

This question comes right down to the Education Theory 101. A recent study heavily talked about in education circles showed that only 9% of high school teachers feel their primary function as a teacher is to prepare students for college. This study also showed that 48% of students and 42% of parents feel the primary purpose of high school is to prepare students for college. Needless to say, that is quite a contrast. There are plenty of other details in the study that are quite disheartening. Elona Hartjes has her own thoughts on her blog, Teacher At Risk that are often quite true for special education teachers at the high school (unfortunately).

As for the question stated in the title of this post, I would simply state that, on the whole, I am trying to prepare students to live healthy, happy, and productive lives in the post-secondary life. For most of my students, especially the ones on my case-load, college will not be an option because of their cognitive disabilities (MR, EMH, etc.) I am simply preparing them to be able support themselves and hold some type of job.

But for the other students I work with, I know the reality is that a great number of them will not be going to college (despite their potential). Some of these students have no interest in school, and are waiting to turn 18 so they can drop out. Some of these students come from a home life where education has never been a priority. For students with the mental capacities to handle college, I often find myself working my hardest just to make sure these kids understand the subject I help teach. I try to encourage high expectations where I can, but it isn't easy when the expectation our school has set is, essentially, just to get by.

This really does seem to be the expectation in our schools, especially for minority students and students from low SES homes. Instead of doing a better job of promoting college for these students, our school primarily focuses on not getting them to drop out, and passing state scores in reading and math. As important as those are, the expectation rarely goes above that for the "at-risk" students. For white kids from middle/upper class homes, college is the expectation. Those students that don't go to college are generally not interested in higher education. For others, it isn't always the case. We really should do a better job of the expectations we set in schools. Until then, I am going to keep on doing the job at hand the only way I know how.

No comments:

Post a Comment