Monday, December 28, 2009

Obsolete Items

Huffington Post posts 12 items that have become obsolete in the past decade. Some items really are obsolete (dial-up internet, encyclopedias); some, I would argue, are on their way to becoming obsolete (landline phones, yellow pages); and some are actually still in wide usage (fax machines).

A couple of other quick points from this article:

-Since when did "calling" become obsolete? I know we have IM, text messaging, and other forms of instant communication, but come on.

-Classified ads are one of the items on this list. I recently taught my Vocational Skills class the importance of classified ads, and even had them do an activity where they decode the abbreviations from different classified ad samples. Next time I teach the class, I will probably focus more on using the internet to look for jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment